Unless you like chasing rabbits, like “Alice in Wonderland” here are 2 questions we recommend you strike from discovery with your prospects.
- How many bedrooms are you looking for?
- How many square feet are you looking for?
Why shouldn’t you ask these? It’s simple really. The buyer usually doesn’t know…YET. They think they do, but until you do a thorough discovery to find out:
- How will they will be living in the home?
- Who will be living in the home as of right now? How about a few years down the road, who could potentially be living there then?
- Do they need dedicated space for __________(fill in the blank)?
- How about those ever important 4 legged family members? Do they need extra space for them?
- Do they have any hobbies or special interests that will require some space in the home?
- What about working from home? Do they do that occasionally, or on a regular basis?
You see, when you get your buyer engaged in really telling you the how and why, then and only then can you truly help them. Bedrooms can be used for other things, right? And, when is the last time you worked with a buyer who told you they needed at least 2500 sf, but once they saw that gorgeous open 2000 sf plan it worked for them much better?
Next time, try to get creative and avoid asking the same thing everyone else is asking and we bet you get a much better result by gaining a better understanding of what your buyer really wants and needs instead of showing them a bunch of things they don’t like just because it fits with the number of bedrooms and square footage they told you.
Kimberly Mackey, REALTOR®, is the founder of New Homes Solutions, and has been called a rising star in the Homebuilder World for her reputation as someone with real world SOLUTIONS in a competitive and rapidly changing sales environment–SOLUTIONS like “50 Sales per Year before Any Walk-in Traffic”. She is a keynote speaker and published author of many Sales and Leadership articles with over a decade and a half of experience as an executive in the residential home building and real estate industry. She has a proven track record working with Builders and Developers of all sizes –from the local/regional companies to the publicly traded nationals. She also works with Brokers from across the country and is the architect and director of the highly successful Preferred Builder Partnership program with Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Florida Properties Group, where she has increased new home builder sales by over 200%.
For more information, or to book Kimberly for your next event, visit www.NewHomesSolutions.com, or visit Mackey at LinkedIn,www.linkedin.com/in/kimberlymackey; Twitter,www.twitter.com/KimberlyDMackey; and Facebook,www.facebook.com/NewHomesSolutions.